Welwyn Garden City has a rich heritage of music, dance and drama over the past 100 years. Our team had worked with many of the music and performing arts groups locally to create a fantastic programme of events to celebrate this through 2020.
- Love to Sing course and gala concert
- A concert by the internationally renowned Endellion String Quartet
- A concert by the acclaimed Sons of Pitches
- An all age celebration of the music of local star Sir Tim Rice
- Welwyn Garden City’s Got Talent for primary schools
- Afternoon tea parties which are dementia and wheel chair friendly
- A Festive Day of Song
We are working on a new programme to run in 2021 if it is safe to do so.
Day of Dance – February 2020
We were delighted to officially open our centenary programme with a Day of Dance in the Howard Centre. Over 200 performers from 11 dance groups showcased their talent.
The 2020 Legacy
To further add to the celebrations and to ensure that music and performing arts continue to be a strong presence in our town beyond December 2020:
- A special centenary music pack was created and made available to all preschools and nurseries with monthly themes of songs and music
- The WGC100 Foundation made funds available for two training days for non-specialist primary music teachers and for an inspiring workshop by the Sons of Pitches for primary school children!
- We commissioned a WGC100 ident from two local young composers. The winning entry by Harry Boulton was launched in January at our Garden City Lights event.
For information on any aspect of the music and performing arts celebrations or how you might help as a volunteer please contact Dave Barber by emailing [email protected].