Can’t make 24th of April?
DON'T WORRY! The recording will be available for a week, so check back here for details.
The Sons of Pitches are a multi-award winning British vocal group combining soaring solos, impeccable harmonies and sensational beatboxing to stunning effect. The group is made up of Welwyn Garden City’s own Joe Novelli and Joe Hinds, Joe Belham, Josh Mallett and Midé Naike. Since their formation in 2010, the group have captivated audiences with highly creative vocal gymnastics and a programme of inventive pop covers, original numbers and entertaining improvised songs. We are pleased that they can still be part of the Centenary Celebrations for this online pre-recorded performance.
Winners of BBC’s ‘The Naked Choir’
In house band on Sky’s
Sing: Ultimate A Cappella
THREE sold out tours
The 2020 Legacy
To further add to the celebrations and to ensure that music and performing arts continue to be a strong presence in our town beyond December 2020:
- A special centenary music pack was created and made available to all preschools and nurseries with monthly themes of songs and music
- The WGC100 Foundation made funds available for two training days for non-specialist primary music teachers and for an inspiring workshop by the Sons of Pitches for primary school children!
- We commissioned a WGC100 ident from two local young composers. The winning entry by Harry Boulton was launched in January at our Garden City Lights event.
Day of Dance – February 2020
We were delighted to officially open our centenary programme with a Day of Dance in the Howard Centre. Over 200 performers from 11 dance groups showcased their talent.
Welwyn Garden City has a rich heritage of music, dance and drama over the past 100 years. Our team had worked with many of the music and performing arts groups locally to create a fantastic programme of events to celebrate this through 2020.
- Love to Sing course and gala concert
- A concert by the internationally renowned Endellion String Quartet
- A concert by the acclaimed Sons of Pitches
- An all age celebration of the music of local star Sir Tim Rice
- Welwyn Garden City’s Got Talent for primary schools
- Afternoon tea parties which are dementia and wheel chair friendly
- A Festive Day of Song
We are working on a new programme to run in 2021 if it is safe to do so.