Welwyn Garden City has a rich heritage of music, dance and drama. The centenary year of 2020 will be a wonderful chance to celebrate this heritage with a wide range of fantastic events from our town’s talented music and performing arts groups from January to November (see calendar).
The Music and Performing Arts Team have in addition organised the following 2020 Signature events:
- Day of Dance – Saturday 1 February
- Love to Sing course from 18 March and gala concert Saturday 23May
- A concert by the internationally renowned Endellion String Quartet – Saturday 27 June
- A concert by the Sons of Pitches – Friday 10 July
- An all age celebration of the music of local star Sir Tim Rice – Saturday 3 October
- Welwyn Garden City’s Got Talent for primary schools – Wednesday 4 November
- Afternoon tea parties which are dementia and wheel chair friendly – Friday 3 July and Saturday 28 November
- A Festive Day of Song – Saturday 5 December
Follow this link to experience the Endellion String Quartet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62b7kiyrnA
The 2020 Legacy
To further add to the celebrations and to ensure that music and performing arts continue to be a strong presence in our town beyond December 2020:
- A special centenary music pack is being created to be made available to all preschools and nurseries for month by month use.
- The WGC100 Foundation has made funds available for two training days for non-specialist primary music teachers and for an inspiring workshop by the Sons of Pitches for primary school children!
- We have commissioned a WGC100 ident from two local young composers. The winning entry by Harry Boulton will be aired throughout the year.
So much is planned – but we need you!
- Come along to events, buy tickets and support the festivities! (For ticket details please refer to the events calendar)
- Hold your own centenary celebratory event using the guidance found on our Event Toolkit page
- Register as a volunteer –there will be specific opportunities to help with our events, e.g. ushering, refreshments, setting up halls etc. and we would be very grateful for any help! Please register via the volunteering page on our website here.
For information on any aspect of the music and performing arts celebrations or how you might help as a volunteer please contact Dave Barber by emailing [email protected].