Welwyn Garden City has a rich heritage of music, dance and drama. The centenary year of 2020 will be a wonderful chance to celebrate this heritage.
Since 2014 the Music and Performing Arts committee have consulted and worked with diverse groups across the community and an exciting programme of celebratory events has been devised which will run throughout the whole year. We are planning:
- A talent show for primary schools
- An all age celebration of the music of local star Sir Tim Rice
- Afternoon tea parties which are dementia and wheel chair friendly
- A day of dance featuring Welwyn Garden City’s dance schools and groups
- A concert by the Sons of Pitches
- A concert by the internationally renowned Endellion String Quartet.
We are delighted that many of our town’s choirs and music groups are also holding celebratory events. More information will follow on all these ticketed events – please watch this space!
So, how can you get involved?
- Hold your own centenary celebratory event using the guidance found on our Event Toolkit page
- Buy tickets (when available) and come along to support the festivities
- Register as a volunteer –there will be specific opportunities to help with our events, e.g. ushering, refreshments, setting up halls etc. and we would be very grateful for any help! Please register via the volunteering page on our website
For information on any aspect of the music and performing arts celebrations or how you might help as a volunteer please contact Dave Barber by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.